Skip to main content

I like...


This week we continue to practice our reading skills by using pictures to help us decode unknown words. We have been doing lots of different literacy activities to help us get better at these skills through word work, reading to ourselves or with a partner, listening to reading and writing. We worked on a writing piece about ourselves today. This will be displayed on the bulletin so you can see where I am at with my writing. At this time of year in in grade one, this is what I should be able to do:

- I can draw a detailed picture and use 5 different colors to express my ideas
- I can copy a sentence starter and fill in the blank using "kid spelling" (using the sounds I know to write what I hear)
- I can use the word wall in the classroom and my knowledge of sight words to spell sight words learned in class correctly
- I can read my work to you

These are some of the things we are working towards and building awareness around:
- I can use finger spaces between my words
- I can use correct punctuation in my sentences
- I can write my words neatly across the page and my letters touch the line (sticky letters)
- I can use upper and lower case letters correctly
- I can write many of my own details about the topic
- I can organize my ideas (first, next, then, last)
- I can use describing words

Housekeeping:

Thursday November 21 is a half day (early dismissal is at 11:55am)

There is no school on Friday November 22

We are looking forward to meeting with you this Thursday and or Friday for parent teacher conferences. Please sign up for a 15 minute slot. This will be the last time we meet before the first report cards come out. Please take some time to review the documents below. At this conference, we will be sharing some self-reflection that your child has done on how they see themselves as a learner and contributing member to our classroom. Please bring your child with you if possible so that they can speak to their reflections.

**Please be on time for your conference time. We ask that you come into the classroom when it is your time to help keep us on track. Thank you!



Popular posts from this blog

Run, run, as fast as you can! You can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread man!

We had a very exciting day full of surprises! This morning as we were learning our new poem about the gingerbread man, we discovered that our gingerbread people we made on Friday ran away!! They left us a note, and we went on a gingerbread man hunt around the school! Ask me where we had to look and where we finally found them! This afternoon we went up on stage and practiced our song for our concert this week! We are so excited to show you our Sugar Plum dance. This afternoon a package came for us! It was freezing cold and had snow on it! It came all the way from the North Pole! We opened it up and it was an Elf! We will learn what our Elf's name is tomorrow! Here is our new poem of the week and our new sight words: ran, ate, eat, he, no

Welcome!

Welcome to Grade 1! We are so excited to meet you all on our first day of school! Below is our Grade 1 welcome letter that can hopefully answer any questions you may have, along with a link for important forms to be filled out for our school.  See you all on Tuesday!  Ms. Granger & Mrs. Ly :)  Welcome Letter First Day Forms

Little Elf

It is the final week before the Winter Break. Wow! We have been counting the days and today is day 69. That means we have been in grade one for 69 days of learning, fun and growing.  This week, our new sight words are: who went what  but  so Our poem is: Our teachers are very proud of us and all the work we have been doing around our reading skills. We have been really good sight word detectives and finding them hidden in other words.  Please click on the poem above and ask me to find the sight words this wee: but, so, went. I am also using the strategy Eagle Eye (looking at pictures for clues) to decode words. Ask me to tell you which word says "Christmas Tree, Reindeer, Santa, Candy Cane." We enjoyed some Festive Singing in the gym today and are working on a story map for the story "The Gingerbread Man". Today we learned what the word characters mean. There are 7 characters in the story we listened to today. Ask me to tell yo